Sean Avery & The Final 4

Friday, May 15, 2009

I was fortunate enough to be invited once again by Ron Duguay and Ken Daneyko onto their weekly radio show, "Ice Breakers" on Sirius XM Radio. Sean Avery was the first guest and I won't get into everything that was talked about, but what I took from Avery is that he's one cool dude who understands the baggage that he carries. I also stand by his coming back to NY. This is where he thrives and belongs. Ron and Ken handled the interview like 2 seasoned pros and Sean seemed real comfortable in this, his first big interview since he came back to the Rangers. Good job guys! Larry "Ratso" Sloman was another guest and Ron, Ken, and I talked about a book that was groundbreaking at the time, "On Thin Ice", a year about the New York Rangers (I was in the book). "Ratso" is a good friend of mine, as well as many other former Rangers (My wife adores him). It was a good time had by all. I want to thank Ron, Ken, and Rob Raju (President/CEO of AXIOM Sports & Entertainment) for keeping me in the mix. Check out the damn show... it's great!

The Final 4

The Pittsburgh Penguins will take on the Carolina Hurricanes in the Eastern Conference Finals. Who would of thought that the Carolina Hurricanes would be in this position? Wow! Boy, did they shock the hockey world with a 3-2, OT victory in Boston. You just have to tip your hat to this team. They continue to impress me with their speed, style of play, and superb goaltending. As for the Penguins? What an ass-kicking they put on the Washington Capitals. Sidney Crosby, who may stomp his feet and whine at times, proved without a doubt that he is the best player in the NHL. Sorry, Alex. Maybe next time! For now, Sid "The Kid" rules the roost as he played big in a big-time game in a hostile territory. Alexander Ovechkin, on the other hand, came up with an unclutch performance after doing a little chirping about how it would be to the Caps advantage playing at home. Oh, really? One more thing... I wonder what Alexander Semin has to say now about Crosby after trashing him earlier in the year? I like Pittsburgh in the ECF, but Carolina has defied all the experts - so what do I know?

Now that Detroit took care of Anaheim on a lousy goal (controversial?), the Hawks and Wings are meeting in an Original Six Western Conference Final. You have to like this if you're a historian of the game. The question is, can the Hawks rise to the level of a team that is hardened with experience and has Stanley Cup rings? I really like this Chicago team. They have a lot of talented players up and down their roster, but Detroit has been here before. Can the youthful exuberance overtake the grizzled veterans? We will have to wait and see. Over and out! 

15 comments:

Wrath of Sanity said...

Would of been nice to hear the show!

Anyways, I'm very disappointed in the outcomes of the games last night. I just hope sincerely that someone knocks out the Wings, Pens, or both.

PLEASE, NO REPEAT FINALS.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Well, Wrath unfortunately I have not been to good with my picks in this years playoffs. Anybody but Detroit is my wish.

As for the show, it was great to hear Sean Avery speak candidly in person. He loves being a Ranger and loves New York.

Larry Sloman AKA "Ratso" is all ways a blast. Very intelligent and articulate. Just a good person.

Graying Mantis said...

What I have learned so far during the playoffs is that neither Carolina nor Chicago is out of any game.

I would not mind seeing them in the Finals.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Graying Mantis, I've been waiting for Carolina and the Cinderella story to end, but they keep on defying the Hockey Gods.

Chicago has made a great strides with all the young stars. This team is loaded with talent.

I wish only the best for the Hawks and for my former teammate and friend Joel Quennville.

Anonymous said...

About time! I finally found the time to watch my first games since we have been kicked out from Washington. There's nothing better than a game 7 played in OT, Gimme more!

Now that Boston is out, my dream of an original six match up in the finals won't happen this year. I'll follow the WCF nonetheless should be a good one. I don't watch a lot western hockey, to not say never, but the game 7 between Anaheim and Detroit was a wild one, I liked it. Watching the Rangers 24/7 over the past two seasons made me forgot how good is a - very - physical game, and all that in a game 7, that was nice. I think that was Mr Hockey here who said the Rangers should build a team on the Wings model. We'd better start soon, that will take a loooooot of time, this team is really impressive. But I'm gonna root for the Hawks, a finals Hawks-Pens should be fun. DET-PIT in finals, no thanks.

Chris, why didn't you tell me before you'd meet Sean Avery, I would have send you my jersey to get an autograph! lol. Just kidding. these shows looks great, I'll try to listen it next time, if I can make this XM radio thing work... Not sure the channel we're talking about is available online tho.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Jeff, The playoffs have been a pleasure to watch. I guess they decided to put the damn whistle away in the 2nd round like I have screaming for and and allowing the players play.


I personally don't want the Rangers to build their team as a Detroit clone. I hate Detroit. I think they are the reason the league made all the rule changes in the last 10 years.

Sorry, Jeff it's not my style of Hockey and I don't find it as exiting as most people do. I do think Detroit's game winner in game 7 was controversial though.

I must be in the minority about Detroit LOL. Anaheim and Chicago's style are more to my liking.

The Avery interview was great. I'm not a regular on the show, my good friend Ron Duguay brings me in as a guest host once and a while. It's a lot of fun.

Troublizing said...

I just wanted to say without any bias that the XM show Icebreakers which you appeared on was excellent.

No brown nosing here if it were a trainwreck I would say so.

I think you guys hit on topics that are important to the rabid Hockey fan that otherwise would never be heard anywhere else in the states.

As far as the playoffs go , I'm a Chicago guy , I love the idea of a young upstart team winning the cup. It kinda reminds me when the Rangers went to the Stanley Cup in 78-79 when the average age of a Ranger defenseman was 23.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Mouth, Thanks for the comments concerning the show. Ron and Ken do a fantastic job and anyone who knows me knows I will speak my mind.

Chicago would be an okay choice with me. The only question is their lack of experience going hurt them against very experienced Red Wings team?

Troublizing said...

Game one goes to the Red Wings and they looked poised and confident especially in the third period. I hope the Hawks can regain that young mojo in Game 2.

Ex-Ranger Mikael Samuelsson got a goal for the Wings. I know Nicky Fotiu had a lot to do with bringing his career along.

Chris if you are gonna be on Icebreakers give me a heads up and I will give you those game dvd's for your you and your son to watch.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Mouth , I sure will and appreciate it very much.

I only hope Chicago gets it together like they did against Vancouver.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

A pretty boring game until the third period. The Wings looked very easy after that the Hawks has tied the game. I was wondering why Datsyuk is one of the best defensive forward in the league, I know now. And Burish got luck, this could have been ugly. videoChris, I'm sorry for the change of policy on my blog, since I have been given this opportunity to write in the magazine I must make some choices. As much as I like to blog in English, that takes me too much time to translate all my articles from that weird language I use to speak, aka French, I have to rethink the whole thing. Not a definitive call though...

Kotsy's Korner said...

Jeff, You have do what you have do when it comes to the blog. I will miss reading and responding to it.

I unfortunately forgot the french that was taught to me right up till grade 8 in school lol.

Yes it was indeed a boring game, and as you know I am not a big fan of Detroit.

Chicago will have to play a much tighter game if they want to win. If not it will be over quick.

Burish definitely got the scare of a lifetime. That was too close!

Leatherneck said...

Hiya Chris...how have you been? Well...i am rooting for the Blackhawks now...So you think major changes will follow..for the Rangers?

Kotsy's Korner said...

Leatherneck, I was wondering where you went. Nice to hear from you and I too want the Hawks to win as well. I hate Detroit.

It's going to tough for the Rangers to do anything until they figure out what to do with their cap problems.

I will update my blog right after tonight's game is over. So stay tuned.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP