The NHL Awards, Shake Gate, and Random Thoughts

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Well, the NHL Awards were handed out on June 18 in Las Vegas and I really can't argue much with the results. Well, maybe one. That one would be Alexander Ovechkin over Evgeni Malkin for the Hart Trophy (The love affair continues for Ovechkin). Overall though, I think they got it all right.


Why is Kris Draper whining still over Sidney Crosby's so called "Shake Gate" snub? Stop it, Kris. You look like the bad guy now and just get over it. Every TV station in the world was trying to get a live interview with the Penguins captain and he obliged. If the Wings couldn't wait, that was their choice.

The NHL Draft is coming up real fast and to me the lesser known names (see previous blog) are the interesting stories. Not Tavares, nor Hedman. There is plenty of good, young talent in the "lesser knowns", but not much fan fare compared to the top 3 or 5 players in the draft. I only hope that the Rangers can pluck a stud with their pick... they are over due!

Why is it that billionaire, that's right... billionaire like Jim Balsille can't find a way to purchase an NHL Hockey team? He's got the money, is that not a good thing in today's economic crisis? You would think that the NHL would love to have an owner like Balsille in their league, but obviously there's a problem between Bettman and Balsille. I shake my head over this one!

Free agency, anyone? I am going to predict that the money previously thrown around over the last few years will not be there this time. It doesn't make sense to pay big dollars for so little, those are just my thoughts.

Why is the NHL still trying to get rid of fighting? Fights still get the fans out of their seats and there is no denying that. It's part of the game. Always has been, always will be!

And with the 19th pick in the 2009 NHL Draft, the New York Rangers select... Over and out!

--------------------------

Yours truly will be talking hockey with The Mouth on WUSB 90.1 FM on Tuesday, June 23rd between 9 AM and 11 AM on The Nick Show. Check it out! It should be a blast! For more information you can check out The Mouth's post on this at his blog: http://www.rangercrisis.com/2009/06/mouth-and-ex-ranger-chris-kotsopoulos.html

Looks like the majority of the Rangers fans think that we should not pursue Marian Gaborik according to the last poll. Well, check out the new one dealing with Nik Antropov!

11 comments:

Wrath of Sanity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wrath of Sanity said...

I gotta say that I disagree with Ovechkin winning the MVP as well. I think it should have been Malkin, as you have stated.

Nothing's really going on now... it's that dead time of year! No hockey, no basketball, football isn't even in training camp... bah. Can't wait for the NHL draft!

Kotsy's Korner said...

Wrath, It's not like it's a horrible choice with Ovechkin (He's obviously worthy).

I just feel that Malkin led the league in points and that should count for more.

Yeah, I hear you no Hockey and Football still has a way till it get's started. The Draft is our only savior.

Unknown said...

Kotsy, what do you think about outdoor games? Would you have wanted to play in one of these in your NHL days? There is something special about playing outside, when the air is crisp. Reminds me of my childhood. However, I wonder how much of that nostalgic feeling is missing when playing in huge stadiums. After all, I, as probably many others, played at outdoor rinks with virtually no one watching. Also, I hope the league does not turn this into a gimmick. One game a year can garner extra attention. Two games (which is what the talk is now), can dilute the product. I guess this is like having teams in Nashville and Phoenix.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Jason, It has to be done in the right city. Once a year is good enough. Two would be overkill.

I would of jumped at the chance of playing in this type of game. My era of players did indeed learn the game of Hockey by playing outdoors.

Jason, I didn't know they had teams in Nashville or Phoenix.....LMAO.

Just a human said...

hey,

a little off-topic,but for a good read on funniest moments at NHL awards, you should check out an article I read on www.electo-mech.com, a hockey scoreboard maker. One: Chad LaRose telling players to go back to their "purses and makeup"
-- whatever the hell that means.
Here's the link: http://www.electro-mech.com/team-sports/hockey/10-most-funny-moments-at-annual-nhl-award-ceremonies/

Kotsy's Korner said...

DMunro, I checked it out and found it very interesting as well as funny.

Thanks.

The Dark Ranger said...

Kots....new look is great!!!! Bleeding Blue...how perfect. Your draft analysis is a big help and truly well done. Thanks for taking the time.

tdr

Kotsy's Korner said...

Dark, I can't take credit for the "New" look, that's all my son's work Cody and what a job he did.

Also the Draft report was done by a die hard Ranger fan who I met over the last few years going to the Ranger games. His name is Joe Tucciarone.

MissKris1307 said...

OMG on the floor ducks-flyers trade! SO GOOD!

Kotsy's Korner said...

Kris, I can only surmise that the Flyers believe he will bring them the Stanley Cup.

I think they they might of over payed for his services. Time will tell.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP