Hawks Take Hold, Up Two Heading to Philly

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Chicago Blackhawks have defended home ice by winning games 1 and 2 at the United Center (otherwise known as the Madhouse on Madison Avenue). Both games were extremely close as the Blackhawks prevailed in Game 1 by a score of 6-5 and in Game 2 by a score of 2-1. My thoughts on Game 1 were, "what in the hell was going on in the defensive zones of both teams"? I thought I was watching house league 6 year olds on a cold Saturday morning. It was laughable how two NHL teams that are battling for the Stanley Cup stood around all night and watched the puck. I’m pretty sure that both coaches were having heart palpitations watching it all unfold. Sorry, folks… it was not pretty! In the end, the Hawks will take the W. Pretty or not!

In Game 2, things were much different as I’m sure both teams got taught a lesson on the off day about defensive zone coverage 101. The Hawks once again eked out a 2-1 win with Antti Niemi holding down the fort. Niemi was spectacular down the stretch of the third period when the Flyers made it a 2-1 game. Honestly, I thought the Flyers were going to score and send the game into OT. However, Niemi and his Hawks would have none of that. I’ve got one question for you all… has anyone heard of Antti Niemi before the playoffs? I have to admit, I knew nothing at all about him. I certainly do now! Anyhow, the Flyers have been in this situation before. Can they fight back into this series? Games 3 and 4 are in Philly and I’m sure the Flyers faithful will be ready. Chicago is a monster on the road, though (8-1 in the playoffs). Only time will tell.

Lastly, I have one more thought on the Finals. It’s time to rant! Again, the officiating has been a huge topic of discussion. Why? Well, what goes on during the regular season apparently doesn’t apply in the playoffs. Confusing? You bet! I’m confused (doesn’t take much though), the players are confused, the referees are confused, the NHL is confused, and most importantly the fans who pay their hard earned cash are confused! It’s like beating a dead horse, but I have to keep doing it. The NHL has created this problem. There’s way too much tinkering of the game over the last 5+ seasons. How can Chris Pronger and Dustin Byfuglien hack and slash each other in front of the net (which I personally love) and not receive penalties? While a touch stick foul is still called? The fans around the league see this and the NHL wonders why it’s hard to sell the game? This happens too frequently… message to the NHL: the fans are not stupid! Wake up and review some of the rules that have been implemented in the last 5+ years. It’s time! Over and out!

4 comments:

Wrath of Sanity said...

I'm loving the way this is going so far. As long as the Hawks take 1 in Philly, I'm confident that they'll win in 5 or 6. Although, I wouldn't mind this over in 4... heh. Then it's onto the off-season for us Rangers fans!

By the way, if only they allowed the players to play like Pronger Vs. Byfuglien all the time... then maybe guys like Holmstrom won't be as eager to go right to the front...

Kotsy's Korner said...

Wrath, You may be right. Chicago has been a beast on the road. I too want to talk Ranger Hockey, but we have to wait until a cup winner is decided.

Just an observation. I love the fact that Pronger and Byfuglien can go at it like real hockey players used to. It's great to watch.

I do think it's unfair for fans of other teams though to see this and wonder why is this allowed now and not during the season. Fans who pay their hard earned money deserve a explanation.

Unknown said...

Chris, I admit that the Flyers are holding their own in these finals better than I thought. Last night, they were able to create numerous chances around the Chicago net, many of them from between the hash marks. The Hawks better tighten up and reduce the number of turnovers or they will be in trouble. The offense of the Hawks seems to get going in spurts while the Flyers seem to be more even keel. I wonder how much coaching has to do with this (can Laviolette outcoach Quenville? He did win a cup not that long ago after all).

I hate to say it, but Philly looks nothing like the team that barely squeaked into the post season.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Jason, Funny how great minds think a like. I was thinking the same things over and over in my head as this series has now reached a tipping point.

I still believe the Hawks are the deeper team, However the Flyers are getting fantastic contributions from the unexpected. That never happens in "Playoff Hockey" does it? LOL.

Jason, I did notice one major gaff that my former teammate Joel Quenneville made. Did you see the change of players off the faceoff that led to the winning goal in OT?. What were the Hawks thinking? Just horrible.

I guess I'll still stick with the Hawks...But like I have been saying it won't be easy.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP