Charity Celebrity Sled Hockey Game

Monday, April 7, 2008

I just got back from one of my old stomping grounds - Hartford Connecticut. I was invited to play in the 4th annual "Connecticut Sled Hockey Celebrity Game". And let me be the first to tell you up front, it was a blast!

I didn't know what to expect at all, but the sport itself is very difficult to play. I was very impressed with the players and staff of the Connecticut sled hockey team. They were wonderful hosts and even though they took it easy on the celebrity team (thank god!) it was amazing to see the agility, skill, and overall ability of these players.

If you haven't figured it out, most players are handicapped in some capacity. The pure joy and excitement on their faces was great to see as they handed the celebs a 6-3 whooping (Believe me, they were taking it easy on us).

The celebrity team consisted of members of TV, radio, and former NHL/AHL players. I especially was happy to see Russ Anderson and Bob Crawford, former teammates of mine with the Whalers, as well as Yvon Corriveau and Chris Govedaris - former NHL'ers. And lastly, I was happy to see Gerry McDonald - who was traded along with myself to the Hartford Whalers, it was so long ago I can't even remember that well. It's been nearly 25 years since I've seen Russ Anderson or Gerry McDonald - talk about a long time!

Overall, it was a great day and I hope we made the day a good one for the CT Sled team as well as the fans who bucked up for a great cause. Lastly, if you're interested the website address for the hockey team is as follows: http://www.ctsledhockey.org, give the site a look - I think they'd appreciate it.

Also check out some pictures from the game here.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP