Rangers Legends' Jersey Retirements

Friday, August 8, 2008

I just received my New York Ranger Alumni Summer Newsletter and the Adam Graves Jersey Retirement Night section really caught my eye. Adam Graves, for those who know him or don't know him, is one of the most honest & genuine gentleman you will ever have the pleasure to meet. I played against Adam and with him when he was in Detroit (Albeit 2 games). His play was tenacious and determined. I knew when he was on the ice, there would be no time to take it easy. His style was one of a skilled, yet physical player that kept you honest. Congratulations go's out to Mr. Graves for who he is and what he means to the Rangers and fans around the league.

I'd also like to congratulate Andy Bathgate and Harry Howell, they too will be honored by the Rangers sometime in the 2008-2009 season. I really love these choices because they too were true legends of the golden age of hockey. I grew up in Toronto when the NHL existed with the original 6 teams. I watched every team play whether it was the Rangers, Leafs, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Red Wings, or the Bruins. With players like Bathgate & Howell visiting the Leafs to play on the historic "Hockey Night in Canada", youngsters all across Canada were in high adulation of these players. They were/are heroes and the reason every kid in Canada wanted to play the game hockey. They played a big part in my dreams of playing in the NHL as well as the following players (and you will have to excuse me for being nostalgic here); Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Dave Keon and many more players. I could go on forever about this, but I'll stop here. Congratulations to Andy Bathgate & Harry Howell. Your time has come and you both are true Ranger legends (Could Ron Greschner be next? He should be)!

It's funny, because at Ron Greschner's golf outing, I had the great pleasure to sit and talk with another Ranger legend: Vic Hadfield. He mentioned Bathgate and Howell as candidates for jersey retirement. Vic, you're getting your wish!

I'll leave you with this: Enjoy the present day players of the NHL, but please don't ever forget about the past. Over and out!

*All images thanks to Google Image Search

7 comments:

Crock said...

Yes Congratulations to Adam Graves as he always played with that mindset of giving it his all no matter who he played against at anytime. He always had that do anything it takes to win attitude which is a reason for the success he has throughout his career and the Stanley Cups he captured along the way.

Don't get me wrong as he was a great Ranger and did alot of great things for the Rangers but does he truly deserve to have his jersey retired as a New York Ranger ??

This jersey retirement thing seems to becoming more of a popularity thing over the last few years rather than really earning the honor.

My point being that teams seem to be retiring jerseys easier today it seems in my eyes anyway.

Just my opinion anyway ........

And you are right about enjoying the moment cause you never know what tomorrow is going to bring anymore ............

Enjoy the weekend .......

Crock

Kotsy's Korner said...

crock: Crock, I think when you look at the facts Adam Graves meets the standards. He was a key player in bringing the Lord Stanley home to New York, just behind Messier and Richter. Graves also does more work off the ice in an ambassador type roll than anyone I've come across
period. The man is simply put a true gentleman. I think when you look at the whole package he is deserving of this special night.

Wrath of Sanity said...

Nice to see some players from the old days finally get their recognition.

I'd say it's been a bit ridiculous that just because we won the cup in 1994, that basically the entire team is getting their jerseys retired. Although, I can't really argue against the players (Messier, Leetch, Graves) - especially Graves since he's been such a great person on and off the ice.

However, I feel at times that players from the 60's, 70's, and 80's get overlooked just because they didn't win a Stanley Cup for the Rangers.

Mr. Hockey said...

Howell and Bathgate--jeez I remember watching them play--were all getting too old and it's long over due for those two players!
My dad took me to my first Rangers game back in 1960 at the old garden(saw the Red Wings)--It was the first time I was at any live game --I still remember how I had the crap scared out of me --When the Garden erupted after the Rangers scored!!--GOOD TIMES !!
I've seen alot of good Rangers-- alot of good players--And I'm honored to say that after all the seasons and all the games that I have seen--Adam Graves is without a doubt my all-time favorite PLAYER--alot of players do some things well and give it their all sometimes--he did it all the time--I can still see him working the puck along the boards and out working two players for the puck--eating up time on the pk -- all the work that you don't see on score sheet--hey I could go on and on, but I'd have to say that in my eyes--YES HE TRULY DESERVES TO HAVE HIS #9 RETIRED AS A NEW YORK RANGER--and I trust my eyes!
Hey Kots I feel the way you do about #4(my second all- time favorite Ranger)

Kotsy's Korner said...

wrath of sanity Wrath, Graves is a no brainer. Andy Bathgate and Harry Howell are deserving as well. It's nice to see the Ranger organization give these 3 players the highest honor a Ranger can receive. They not only deserve this honor, they earned it.

---------------------------------

mr.hockey Mr.Hockey, it truly is magical at MSG. If there is one thing I know about Ranger fans, it is that they are wildly passionate. I never had the pleasure to be at the old Garden, but I'm sure the fans are the same now as they were then. Adam Graves, Andy Bathgate and Harry Howell are all-time greats. Looking forward to their special nights (Gresch's night will come).

Unknown said...

do you know the date for the retirement game and, bathgate and howell games?

Kotsy's Korner said...

cha: Unfortunately I do not know the dates for those games. But in the future, I'm sure I'll find out.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP