Never a Dull Moment, Rangers Win 2-1

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In what has become the Ranger way for most of the 08-09 season, the New York Rangers slipped by the New York Islanders by a score of 2-1. A goal by Chris Drury and a PP goal by Nigel Dawes erased a 1-0 lead by the Islanders and gave the Rangers the lead that they wouldn't relinquish.

Drury's goal was assisted by Scott Gomez on a nice drop pass with Drury finishing it off with a great wrist shot past goalie Jann Danis (who replaced Joey McDonald early in the 1st period). Nigel Dawes' goal was off of an easy pass that was set up beautifully by Ryan Callahan on a 3 on 1 break on the PP. The Rangers held on from there as the King turned back a total of 33 of the 34 shots that he faced. On the flip side, the Rangers fired 29 of their own.

My observations of this game are the Rangers never get away easy. It's almost like they enjoy these close games... or is it they realize they can't and never will be an offensive juggernaut? I think it's the latter. Physically, they were out of it, which is common - but I really didn't like the way Tim Jackman was running around without any repercussions. You can't allow that to happen and someone should have let him know.

I will also continue to hammer this point... Ryan Callahan, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, has been the most consistent Ranger all season. In fact, if I had a vote - he would be my MVP of the skaters on this team. Obviously, the King would be the overall MVP... but Callahan would be a close second in that race as well. I really don't see any argument here.

Again, so far so good! 5 points on 5 goals with only 2 against in 3 road games? Impressive. The Blueshirts got a little help with Philly, Washington, and Montreal all losing - so back in first for now. The real test comes Friday in Chicago where I don't believe 2 goals is gonna do it for the Rangers. They are going to have to score, because Chicago will! Over and out!

7 comments:

JohnM said...

A 1 -4 checking scheme for the whole 2nd half of the game? What is going on here? Is anybody at the least concerned in Rangersland about the obvious lack of scoring chances every single night ? Do any of the upper brass ever check in to what the coach has created ? Renney has created a team that can only win by the thinnest of margins. This is not due to a lack of team speed, or quality scorers. (Historicaly, Naslund, Drury, Zherdev, Prucha, Redden, and EVEN Gomez have put a few pucks in the net at the NHL level) But Renney and the coaching staff keeps shoveling the lack of attention to detail crap as HIS argument for the need to play a non aggressive , no attack style. Which ends up reinforcing his LAME LAME LAME argument that the Rangers are not a high scoring bunch.
Why is Renney allowed to continue in this fashion? It will not get this team deep into the playoffs. It stifles the development of scoring touch from the younger players. And most of all , it makes me feel like we LOST the game when we win!! I hate the style. I hate the fact that the N Y Rangers play this way in the biggest market and most famous arena in the world.

Kotsy's Korner said...

JohnM: JohnM, I feel your pain. When I watch the Rangers at home or in person at MSG I always have a uneasy feeling in my stomach.

It's too obvious that this team is not aggressive offensively or physically for most fans liking.

The Rangers have been skating on thin ice all season. Playing this close to the vest game of defense.

Defense is nice, but you got to have some offense to go with it. Like I said never a dull moment.

Leatherneck said...

Hello Chris, I'm Ashley, Leatherneck's girl. He wanted me to introduce myself to you. I got to watch my first Rangers game yesterday with him. GO RANGERS!

Leatherneck said...

Hah...was showing Ashley the brawl with the kings...didnt realize old Nicky in the stands...anyway...not sure what to make of yesterdays game...Chicago will tell a more telling story...eh

Kotsy's Korner said...

Leatherneck: Leatherneck, to "Leathernecks Girl" lol welcome to the world we know as the New York Rangers and the greatest sport in the world.

Ashley, I hope you enjoyed the game and will continue to follow the Blue Shirts.

Chicago will be a more defining game for the Rangers. Chicago is that good.

Ah the brawl, Gresh and Duguay were talking about it last week over a few drinks. It was crazy.

As for the Islanders game , a win is a win .... I guess.

Wrath of Sanity said...

I was happy with the win the other night, regardless of the opponent. It was good to respond down 1-0, I thought the team played well after the first period.

The upcoming game(s) against Chicago and Pittsburgh will be very critical. If we win 1 of the 2, I'd be happy with the road trip (7 pts from 5 games, not bad).

Hopefully the Rangers come out strong against the Hawks tomorrow.

Kotsy's Korner said...

Wrath of Sanity: Wrath, It's going to be tough in Chicago. Black Hawks are skilled, tough, young team.

I also would expect a very hungry team in Pittsburgh. The Penguins are struggling but being on national tv (NBC) will fire them up.

As I have mentioned, so far so good on the road for the Rangers.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP