I'm Back

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Alright everybody, I’m back, which could only mean one thing it must be Hockey time again. I apologize for the long wait of my first posting on Kotsy’s Korner and hope my followers will continue to check it out and opine. Unfortunately it’s been a very dark off season for the NHL and Pro Hockey in general with all the tragic events that occurred this summer. I’m not going to get into the how’s and why of what happened, But I do want send my condolences to all the friends and family of all players who passed away. It has to be a hard time for them and we in the hockey world feel for you.

Let’s start off with the New York Rangers as they open the season in Europe against the Los Angeles Kings Friday afternoon our time 1:00. Not going to get too detailed about the roster and who’s in and who’s out. Most pundits have had their say (Usually wrong) and I for don’t want to speculate what the starting lineup will be when the puck drops against the Kings. I do know that I expect big things out of the Rangers this year as the core of this team is at a point where the maturation level should start to provide the results we have all been waiting for.

The signing of Brad Richards once again proved that GM Glen Sather did his job by securing the number one free agent out there. The Rangers have needed a legitimate number one center to compliment Marion Gaborik and here’s to hoping things work out for Richards and the Rangers. I do have a concern like many others over the Marc Staal headache problems that have lingered since the hit he took from his brother last year. This is something to keep a close eye on and how it all unfolds only time will tell.

Some ramblings, on the selection of Ryan Callahan as Captain of the New York Rangers. Was there really a doubt? This man exemplifies what a leader means. He gives his all, hits, blocks shots, contributes offensively, and lastly is a great communicator with his teammates and media. The last part is extremely important, believe me. As a former player I know. Just hoping Callahan can stay healthy is all Rangers fans could ask.

Not sure what’s going on with Sean Avery, but I have been a huge supporter his for years now. Whether he passes waivers or not I feel it might be a mistake by the Rangers we’ll have to wait and see. I will say this though, Avery probably would have been better served playing back in 70s or the 80s. Things were not so politically correct and soft in life like they are now. What happened in the arena and ice surface back then stayed in the arena and ice surface. The things we said to each other back then… you have no idea.

One last thing NHL teams might have to expand their rosters to the NFL number of 45 the way Brendan Shanahan is handing out the suspensions. It’s quite clear there’s a new sheriff in town, but I’m not sold on his plan and decisions just yet. This could lead to no hit Hockey faster than we expected.

Well that’s about it for now, but yes I’m still doing color commentary on the radio with Quinnipiac Bobcats with my good friend Bill Schweizer as the play-by-play guru. I will also be doing some select Princeton Tigers men’s hockey games on television as well. I’m also looking forward to another great year with Paul Scaglione AKA Pauly Dee on the “Instigators Hockey Show” every Tuesday night. You can be sure of some off the off-the-wall opinions and fun with every show. Remember, don’t be afraid to have your opinion heard and respond on the blog. Should be a great year and let’s go Rangers. Till next, time Over and out.

Instigators Link: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/pauly-d

Quinnipiac Bobcats Radio Link: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x981.xml

7 comments:

greg m said...

Hey Kots welcome back. I for one look forward to this blog because it comes free of the social network craziness!What an off season indeed, I don't remember ever anything like this before.i for 1 of a million IM sure are looking forward to this Fridays season opener I'm not thrilled about the European tour for pre season but what are hay going to do.i like what Sather did in the off season with the exception of the recent Sean Avery thing I'm a fan of his as well, and I just hope he doesn't get picked up by a eastern conference team and have it come back to bite us in the ass!Richards and Gaborik will make a nice one ,two punch who the 3rd will be I'm sure will fluctuate until the find a perfect fit.so much to talk about but I'm just excited about friday.Im predicting the rangers finish 2nd in the Atlantic East.and Shanty is on a mission so that will be interesting to watch, and it may be a no hit,no fight no contact league by the end of the season.

Kotsy's Korner said...

greg m, It's great to be back. I too am looking forward to the season opener. The Rangers got what they needed a number one center. Gaborik has got to be pleased with that.

As for Avery, I'm not sold on this move plain and simple. If I were a GM I would pick him up. I like your pick of 2nd place, Nice and bold LOL.

Brendan Shanahan is laying the law down and is firing all of his bullets. Teams might have to reload their rosters LOL. I'm not sure this is a good thing yet. We'll have to wait and see.

No hit no fun hockey that is what I'm very afraid of.

RobC said...

Chris, welcome back!! There was a great article in the NY Post by Larry Brooks today regarding Sean Avery. The way he was treated was awful. Torts never gave him a shot to make the team. Bringing him to Europe just to scratch him, when they could have released him earlier was spiteful. His off ice antics should not take away from his on ice grit, toughness and energy. The only way this works out is if they use his money for D help (Paul Mara). I like Shanny, but I think he is being guided by Bettman and the big TV contract that was just signed. Offense = ratings. The league wants skating and scoring, wide open hockey, not the tight checking and hitting that made rivalries like Rangers-Islanders or Rangers-Flyers so memorable. It's up to the players to police themselves before the league makes the NHL another European League. 2nd place for the Rangers ....from your lips to God's ears...

Kotsy's Korner said...

RobC, Avery's situation was a little odd to me. I think everyone knows that I am a fan of his and I can only wish him well. Who knows maybe at some point he might find his way back.

Not sure how the D is going to shape up with Staals problems. Someone is going to have to step up big time. Mara would be good bench strength.

I Played against Shanahan in his rookie year so I have to give him the benefit for now as he's gone through transformation over the last 20 years. I only hope he doesn't go too far in penalizing every little thing. Good to hear from you and keep checking back.

Leatherneck said...

Welcome back Chris, good to see you again bubba..Let's go Rangers...I have to say that the reality shows and their impact is starting in on sports to include the NHL...I am afraid to say our game is going to deteriorate to the point that it will become figure skaters with sticks in their hands...everything is so melodramatic these days...Last nights Asham and Beagle fight should not even be talked about. Another thing is I really do not speculate that all the unfortunate deaths of Boogaard, Belak and Rypien had to do with their roles as enforcers, but instead had more to do with their own demons not being conquered. Want to get rid of concussions and hits from behind give a double major to the player who turns his back to get hit because he knows he will get a penalty for it...my vent for the day

Kotsy's Korner said...

Leatherneck, Good to hear from you. Couldn't agree with you more about the reality line. It's get to the point where it's painfully embarrassing.

Hey last time I looked you fight to win and that's what Asham did, The theatrics afterward was child's play compared to the old days, Today it's unacceptable in this soft world we live in.

The tragic deaths go way beyond pinpointing it on the "Enforcers"
people are way off base.

Good hearing from stay tuned.

WALLY said...

Hey Kotsy,
While your Rangers are off to a slow start your 49ers are looking very impressive!!! Tonight's game in Vancouver should be interesting,
maybe the road will help. I checked out the Instigator show with Pauly Dee, great stuff!!! I was shocked to hear you don't like talking about the FLYERS(Too Funny). We still need a goalie, nothing changes.

Talk Too Later

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP